Also known as: Cystic Acne, Teenage Acne, Adult Acne, Acne Rosacea, Pimples, Cysts, Zits, Whiteheads, Red Face, Blackheads, Nodules, Scars
Acne is a skin condition characterized by plugged pores, red pimples, nodules, and cysts which can result in scarring.
There are many types of acne:
- Cystic Acne is deep “pus-filled” lumps on the skin.
- Teenage Acne is formed by testosterone, a hormone present in males and females, which stimulates the sebaceous glands of the skin to enlarge, produce oil, and plug the pores causing whiteheads, blackheads and pimples.
- Adult Acne may be related to hormones, childbirth, or menopause.
- Acne Rosacea is acne associated with Rosacea.
Acne is caused by different factors:
- Mechanical or frictional factors such as a football player’s helmet strap
- Occlusive oils that lead to plugged pores
Symptoms of Acne
Red, painful pustules, pimples, or nodules and excessive whiteheads or black heads.
- Topical Medications: Creams, gels or lotions such as, Benzoyl Peroxide, Retinoids (Retin-A, Differin) Fineacea, Clindamycin, and accommodation products such as Duac gel or Benziclin gel
- Oral Antibiotics: Tetracycline, Doxycycline, Minocycline, Clindamycin, Sulfa, Zithromycin
- Oral Vitamin-A: Accutane
- Hormonal Treatment: Birth control pills such as Yasmin or Yaz, Orthotricycline or Orthotricycline Lo
- Oral Water Pill: Spironolactone
- Laser Treatment: Smoothbeam Laser, Starlux Fractional Laser to treat scarring
- Photodynamic Therapy: Levulan plus Laser light
- Acne Surgery: a combination of a light glycolic peel and the extraction of blackheads and/or whiteheads from plugged pores